Home LifestyleHome & Garden Common plants Britons eat regularly can be toxic – including rhubarb and asparagus

Common plants Britons eat regularly can be toxic – including rhubarb and asparagus

by admin

Rhubarb

Rhubarb may be a common dessert vegetable used in crumbles, pies and other sweet treats, but parts of it are actually poisonous.

The rhubarb plant’s pink-red celery-like stalks which many people boil down with sugar to create delicious desserts.

However, rhubarb’s leaves are very poisonous and can even cause kidney failure in humans.

Rhubarb leaves are inedible as they contain a high quantity of oxalic acid which is a natural substance found in other vegetables, fruits, nuts and seeds.

Too much of this acid in the human body can lead to the formation of kidney stones and eventually kidney failure.

Other symptoms of rhubarb leaf poisoning include vomiting and diarrhoea.

READ MORE: Monty Don: Gardeners’ World presenter hits back over supposed U-turn



Source link

Related Articles

Leave a Comment

This website uses cookies to improve your experience. We'll assume you're ok with this, but you can opt-out if you wish. Accept Read More